KDE 4.1 Font Issues Solved

Well as I mentioned in an earlier post I was having a bugger of a time getting the Helvetica font to work with the KDE 4.1 widgets, which was a substantial problem since you can’t yet change the font for them. I did everything from a system rebuild to clearing out the .kde4 directory so it would rebuild the settings. None of that was working and I was running out of ideas. Eventually I decided to make an entirely new user account to make sure it was nothing relating to individual user settings. Believe it or not that solved the problem. I am assuming there was some setting in my home directory which was causing the fonts to get messed up somehow.

I suppose I should put the solved in quotes because I wanted all the settings I had in my old user account so I still had work to do once the fonts were working. After I had the fonts working I again I made a backup of my home directory and wiped out the original. Then I copied over all the important files and everything was well again.

Now, this whole ordeal has brought several things to me attention:

  1. I don’t understand how fonts work in Linux. I suppose this is quite obvious considering all the trouble I had to go through to get KDE to see the Helvetica font again…
  2. The fact that Linux stores all the user configurations in the home directory is extremely nice. Knowing where all my settings were gave me a great deal of confidence when I cleared out my original home directory, and it also gives me confidence when I make my backups. This is something that Windows does not necessarily offer. Configuration files in Windows seem to be spread all over the place from the installation directory, to the user directory, and even in the registry.
  3. Finally, this has reminded me that it is always best to start with the easy and simple solutions than to jump to the big guns in a moment of frustration. In other words, rebuilding my whole system should have been a last ditch effort and not the third thing I tried.

At any rate I’m happy to have a working KDE 4.1 installation again and hopefully I will manage to keep it working for a while now 🙂 . This is good because I can now focus my attention on other projects such as working on Spheriosity.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: